The Lemon Drops from Orlando’s Bakery are hard to beat, but this is a mighty fine recipe too!
Prep time: 15 min | Bake time: 15 min | Total: ½ hour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt; Mix well; the dough should be soft and sticky.
- With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a slightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone, spacing them about 2″ apart.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting, combine confectioners’ sugar, water and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
- Frost the tops of each cookie with a metal spatula.
Makes 2 dozen cookies