Check out this great IIFYM article : 9 Foods That Are Beneficial for Cognitive Health.
For those of you that are unfamiliar with IIFYM, it stands for If It Fits Your Macros and you can learn more about that healthy lifestyle switch here.
I love the recipe from Eat Yourself Skinny, but I’ve adapted it slightly with my own twist. Enjoy!
Prep time: 10 min. | Cook time: 1 hour 10 min. | Total: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 lb turkey, 99% lean
- 1 TBSP cooking oil (lately I use coconut, but EVOO or another type is fine)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1 Tbsp hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 cup red kidney beans (optional)
- sour cream and/or shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in large sauce pan
- Cook onion and green pepper, about 3 minutes
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes
- Add turkey meat, breaking into small chunks; cook until browned
- Transfer turkey and onion mixture to slow cooker and add all final ingredients (except sour cream or cheese); cook on low for approximately 3 hours
- Top with sour cream or cheese to serve
*Or, you can cook everything in a Dutch oven and make it a one-pot meal!